Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Poor Macie

I know we talk about our puppies so much. They are our kids for now and we are defiantly getting a lot of practice of how to be good parents. On Monday we took Macie to the vet to get her 2nd set of shots. The vet warned us that dachshunds are very prone to having an allergic reaction to them. (Molly never had one and this was the first time I heard it) He also said, if she does have one to bring her back in and they would take care of her for not additional cost. So I didn't really worry. She got her shots and a few other things looked at and we were on our way home. About twenty minutes later Macie was throwing up. We called their office and they said that was a symptom of an allergic reaction and to bring her in. They said they would keep her until they closed and possibly over night. They hadn't called me to say they were keeping her so I went over at 8:00 when they closed and brought her home. They said she had not had anymore issues and was just crying for me. At about 8:45 I looked at Macie's face. Her left eye was beginning to swell. I instant messaged Roy while he was at school to let him know what was going on. He told me I better call the vet. I had to call the emergency number. The doctor that had taken care of her earlier was the one on call for the night so she new the whole story. She said to give it a half hour or so and hopefully the benedryl she gave her will kick in and the swelling will go down. Within 5 minutes both eyes were swollen and her snout. Basically her face looked twice the size as usual. I called the vet back and told her how much worse it had gotten. She asked me if she was having trouble breathing? Right then she was but I didn't want to wait any longer in case she struggled or stopped. What would I have done then. Idecided it would be best to take her in. She met me at the clinic and ended up keeping Macie over night. It was very strange how missing one family member for only one night can change the mood of the house. Molly was looking everywhere for her in the house and while we were on walks. They are like sisters. Molly was so excited to see Macie when she finally got home the following morning.
Before she swelled up






Macie's swollen face

3 comments:

Angie said...

Your dealing with the same things any mother would, so why wouldn't you be considered a mom? You should definatly check out my "mommy" blog and post anything you want! Let me know if you have some insights!

Carrie said...

aww, poor baby, that picture makes me so sad! I'm glad she's doing better!

Aubri n Scott said...

WOW, how sad. Look at her face!

Random Pictures of our lives