Monday, August 24, 2009

Kindergarten???

I never thought in a million years I would be teaching kindergarten. I am still not sure about it after my first day. The age difference is very different from the 3rd graders I taught last year. Today I had 21 5 year old students walk through the door who really don't know anything. I am teaching them very basic things right now such as how to sit, stand up, push in their chair, line up, fold their arms, walk in a straight line, trace, cut, color in the lines.... ahhh. Oh and go on bathroom trips every 2 hours. I really was overwhelmed at the end of today. I am so used to accomplishing a lot in one school day and all I think we sort of accomplished today was stand up and push in your chair. I know it is a long process and it will slowly come along, but WOW, I need some kind of results so I don't feel like I am wasting time.

I promised you all pictures of my classroom. I have to admit my room at least looks like an inviting kinder classroom. ENJOY!!!

5 comments:

Audrey {Crisp} said...

wow! good luck. that would be tough! it will be rewarding later on i'm sure! have fun! your classroom looks great!

Aubri n Scott said...

Angie, I have complete faith in you! You will make a world of difference in all of their lives!

Angie said...

Hey! Your classroom looks so good! You will be a great Kindergarten teacher! I love being in kindergarten because teaching the cirriculum is a no brainer, I don't have to remember any cursive, times tables, or math in any form. Just the basics, right up my ally!
Good luck this year, keep me posted!

Josh and Kensey said...

haha that is crazy! Your room looks so cute though!

Shallee said...

Good luck, Angie! It's so tough to teach kids that young. I taught the preschool/kindergarteners in Ghana, and I got to the point that I was thrilled if they sat still through a story! If they managed to trace a line, I was ecstatic. It's hard at first when it seems nothing is happening, but it'll get better! I know you'll do awesome.

Random Pictures of our lives