Sunday, December 14, 2008

Our ten O'clock at night candy house building experience.

While I was up at home for Thanksgiving visiting my Grandma Hicken she had given me all the pieces to make a gingerbread candy house. I took it thinking it would be very fun and easy to make. Growing up I always went to her house to make them and decorate them. She always did the hard work. I just showed up to stick the candy on. This time she did most of the hard work, but I had to make the frosting. I have never made this frosting before, all I really knew about it was that you have to hurry because it hardens fast and it hardens like cement. The first batch was to runny. So I learned from my mistake and made a second batch which might have been to think but at least it didn't run off the side of the house and things could actually stick to it. In the process of hurrying and learning from my mistake I must have had some kind of fun making the frosting because I have the pictures to prove it. Roy finally got guts to come into the mess I had made to help decorate the house. We put Frutie Pebble on the roof, we made a path out of Hershey's chocolate and a fence out of pretzels. My grandma always bought the candy too. I couldn't find many of the things we used growing up with to decorate so we had to get creative. (hence the Frutie Pebbles). But it actually turned out really cute. The final picture with the whole family didn't get taken until the next morning because the frosting in some spots was to runny and was having a hard time holding up the fence. Here are a few pictures of our 10:00 pm candy house building experience!!!




















As you can probably see, Molly really loved this activity. She enjoyed licking up the powered sugar I spilled on the floor. She also enjoyed the Dots that went flying everywhere when I opened the box. She is such a joy to have around the house and I am so happy she leaves the Christmas tree alone.!!!!!

5 comments:

Robertson Family said...

Cute! I love you gingerbread house! I think that your decorations are perfect! Your little family seems happy in Nevada! I hope that all is well with teaching and going to school! Merry Christmas!

Amelia said...

Cute! Sorry you had such trauma with the frosting. I guess that is how we learn! I still need to make frosting and help Zach get his house done. I don't think I have ever made that frosting either.
Last night at Grandma's Christmas Party, I opened up your Blog so she could see that you had decorated your gingerbread house. She was pleased.

Aubri n Scott said...

Wow~ I love Gingerbread houses! Very clever Idea with the fruity pebbles! The Frosting is my favorite part! :o)

Angie said...

It looks like you guys had a fun time. It made me want to make my own gingerbread house, I just don't know where to start.
We are good, but we are not going to Utah for Christmas, we are staying here this year. I don't know when we will be back yet, hopefully soon so I can see you guys if you come up!

Josh and Kensey said...

Angie your little puppy is so cute!! I haven't talk to you forever, I love that I found your blog!! Keep in touch! :)

Random Pictures of our lives